Friday, May 9, 2014

Daily Musing 5/9/2014: WHOO-HOO!!

Recap:

I placed in the money in every single daily league I entered last night. It was extremely close. I finished 40th out of 80 in a couple of leagues, taking the last spot in the money. David Price was the reason I almost finished out of the money. I paid for the pitching and it almost cost me. He only went 5 innings gave up 3 runs, and only struck out 3. With a performance like this I did not think I would place. Edwin Encarnacion saved me. His two home runs let me squeak into the money.

Ian Kennedy on the other hand was brilliant against the Marlins. He went 7 innings striking out 12 and only giving up 1 earned run. He also homered in the game, providing the only San Diego offense. He did not get the win, but built up enough strikeouts to give me a bunch of daily fantasy points.

All in all it was a very good night. I hope my winning and losing stabilize to a consistent basis, hopefully on the former side. I am going to try my hand at some head to head match-ups tonight to see how I fare in those.

Pitchers:

There is a plethora of good pitching tonight. You cannot go wrong with Fernandez, Cueto, Darvish, Tanaka, Bumgarner, or Verlander. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Fernandez is extremely pricey on all sites, but he is also facing a San Diego team who only amounted 1 run against a sub-par pitcher. Cueto is facing the Rockies, and while I think he will do well tonight, I don't think I can take the risk in the daily game. Darvish is facing Boston, who always have the ability to draw out at-bats, and get the pitcher out of the game early. Verlander has been a tad inconsistent this year, and the Twins can be similar to the Red Sox in how they approach at-bats. Tanaka is my best option tonight going against an injured Brewers team who free swings. The only down side is he has given up the long ball, and the Brewers can defiantly go deep. Tanaka has been the model of consistency all year going at least 7 innings except in one start, and striking out no less than 5 in each performance. I am also going to use Jose Fernandez for my late lineup (I don't think I need to explain my reason for this).

Batters:

C: I am going with an early and a late lineup for tonight. For the early lineup I am going with Brayan Pena. He is batting second tonight for the Reds and is batting .375 over the past 7 days with 2 homers. For the late game I am going with Salvador Perez, he is batting a consistent .280 over the past 7 days with 3 doubles. The entire Royals lineup struggled last night against Iwakuma. I will give him a pass, and hope he and the team bounce back against a sub-par pitcher in Maurer.

1B: I am really hoping Miguel Cabrera hits well tonight vs Phil Hughes. He did not have a hit yesterday, and didn't have a hit when I played him earlier in the week. The stats say he will. He DESTROYS Phil Hughes. In 28 AB's he is batting .536/.567/1.214. Not sure how anyone could not play him tonight in the daily money games. With the selection for the late game I am going with another Royal (go figure) in Eric Hosmer. He has been heating up batting .367 over the past 7 days with 3 doubles and 1 HR. Throw in a 2/4 with a double against Maurer, and he is a must start for me.

2B: Anthony Rendon (he is listed as a 2b on fanduel): I believe I have mentioned before, Rendon kills lefties. I did not start him against Kershaw, but he still managed a 2/5 against him for the game. For the year he is batting .484/.500/.806, and equals a must start. He is the only second baseman I am using for the daily game tonight.

3B: Have to give props to Ray Flowers (check out his website by clicking his name) for this one. I was struggling to build a lineup with a third basemen for the night. I just did not feel any good option. In his daily email he gave the great nugget about Alberto Callaspo, he has 6 hits in 17 at bats with a homer against Doug Fister. He is bottom dollar on Fanduel. He is batting a horrendous .063 in the last 7 days, but I'll run the chance he bounces back against Fister tonight. He is the only third basemen I am using tonight. Boom or bust mentality, because it allows me to use Tanaka and Fernandez.

SS: Jhonny Peralta: Batting .325 in 40 AB's with one double and 2 home runs against Liriano. On top of this he is running hot, batting .375 with 3 doubles and a home run in the past 7 days. For the late game I am going back to my home town team and Alcides Escobar. He walked last night in the 9th inning, I look for him to have a big game tonight. I probably should use some Giants since they are facing Paul Maholm, but I just don't like their prices for the matchup.

OF: Jason Werth: Another National who destroys lefties. On the year he is batting .444/.500/.519. He is also been on fire for the past 7 days batting .417/.462/.458. This includes a game against the mighty Clayton Kershaw. Matt Joyce is always a solid play in the daily game. He is cheap option on Fanduel, and is great against right handed pitching. For the year his is batting .321/.443/.481. He is a little cool at the moment batting .222 over the past 7 days, but still has a nice .333 OBP. George Springer, the young guy came through for me yesterday hitting his first big league home run. He faces another left hander today, hopefully he has back to back good performances. Alex Gordon, he is a cool .148 over the past 7 days with 2 doubles. I look for him to break out in a big way tonight. This I know is against the streak, and not something you are supposed to do. Scott Hairston is yet another National who does well against lefties. He just came back off the DL, but he is a cheap option for the late night games. He is batting .255/.296/.497 over the past three years verse lefties. Not great numbers, but I'll take them against a pitcher who is struggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment