Monday, May 5, 2014

Daily Musing: 5/5/2014 Kicking Myself

Recap:

I placed in 5 out of 9 fanduel daily leagues yesterday. I was cussing myself at about 3:30. Troy Tulowitzki did not play yesterday. He is batting .619 (13/21) over the past seven days. Yes there is a 6 in front of his batting average. I did not mistype. He ONLY has 3 doubles and 2 home runs with those 13 at bats. Jeez, only 5 extra base hits out of the 13. With those numbers I managed to place him in all of my late game lineups. I did not check the lineups before the games started, to my detriment. This killed my chances in all three of the daily leagues I played in during the late afternoon/evening. If he would have played I would have had a great shot at finishing in the money in 8/9 leagues. Live and learn. At least I killed in the early games.

I lost on Draftkings and now have no money on their website. Still chugging along at around ten dollars on Fanduel with my performance yesterday. Hopefully I go 7/7 todayJ.

Pitchers:

Just using two pitchers today. There are a plethora of good options. I think there are two exceptional ones.

Yordano Ventura: What is their not to like for Ventura this year, except for his one hiccup against Minnesota. In that game he only managed 4 innings, struck out 6, while surrendering 4 runs. He only went 5 innings his last outing, but he had a high pitch count the game before. He has a 31/11 K per walk rate on the year. Sign me up for a bunch of K's tonight. The Padres cannot even hit bad pitching. They only managed to score 7 runs this weekend against the Diamondbacks. They sport the MLB's worst team ERA at 4.95. Love the matchup and love Ventura, cannot wait to watch something special tonight. (Mike if you read this, I am sure you are cringing, and will blame me if he does poorly)

Max Scherzer: A hot Tigers team facing the Astros. I don't think I really need to explain more than this. Scherzer has 51 strikeouts in 39 innings this year. His K/9 will not suffer a hit tonight.

Hitters:

C: I like Tigers tonight since they are facing the Astros. Alex Avila is swinging with authority over his last 7 days he has a SLG % of 1.000 with 2 home runs. If he is in the lineup tonight I am starting him. I am thinking about picking him up in the yearly leagues if available. Johnathan Lucroy had a great game yesterday vs the Reds. He was 2/2 with 1 RBI, and 2 walks. He is batting .333/.385/.417 over the 7 days. If he starts tonight, I love the matchup against a struggling Arizona pitching staff.

1B: Miguel Cabrera, do I really need to explain? Didn't think so. Just for fun here is his slash from the past 7 days: .364/.417/.500. Adam LaRoche does well against Zach Greinke. He is 4/5 against him, and is batting .385/.500/.769 over his last 7 games.

I needed a cheap first base option in one league. I am going back to Billy Butler. He has been swinging the bat better, and I like the matchup tonight against a lefty. He is batting a robust .381/.391/.619 over the past 7 days. I think the Royals get healthy over this road trip.

2B: Ian Kinsler: Love the Tigers against the Astros, can you tell? Kinsler is white hot over the past 7 days batting .409/.417/.500. He is also batting leadoff tonight, which could mean the all-important extra at-bat. Value play for the night, Mark Ellis. He is batting .316 over the past 7 days. Hopefully he continues his hot streak.

3B: Adrian Beltre likes batting against Jordan Lyles, he is 6/17 with 2 doubles. He broke out of a funk yesterday going 3/5 with an RBI and a walk. Brett Lawrie is on fire over the past 7 days. Check out this line .476/.500/.588. Another example of me kicking myself. I dropped him 2 weeks ago in the league I am dead last in. I needed offense and he wasn't producing. Makes me sick to my stomach.

I almost went with Nolan Arenado again today. He still has his hitting streak, and you are supposed to ride the steak. When the streak gets to 25 or so you have to start wondering how much longer it will last.

SS: Jhonny Peralta. He burned me when I tried him last week. Going to try to get some value out of him tonight. He is 8/25 against Harang with 2 doubles and 2 home runs. Hanley Ramirez hopefully gets on track tonight against Ryan Zimmerman. He has a .450 batting average in 20 AB's with 1 double and 1 home run.

OF: Marlon Byrd. Love him tonight facing a lefty. He is batting .360/.407/.640 against southpaws for the year. The last 7 days he is a cool .468 with 1 double and 2 HR. Talk about a bounce back from two years ago. Giancarlo Stanton is 7/18 against Niese with 2 HR. He is also .348/.423/.826 over the last 7 days with 3 home runs and 2 doubles. A value play for the outfield is Reed Johnson. His price is the bare minimum on fanduel. He is 7/18 against Niese, and is batting .333 on the year vs lefties. Collin Cowgill is another value. He is batting .412 with an on base of .500 over the past 7 days. I will ride the hot streak while it lasts, or his price exceeds the value. I also picked him up in my yearly league. Someone dropped Jeff Joyce in the league and I am going to platoon Joyce with Cowgill, and hopefully climb out of the cellar. Melky Cabrera has been on fire all year. His slash looks like this, .333/.500/.833. He is 0/5 vs Kendrick, but I look for him to break this tonight.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment