Friday, May 2, 2014

Daily Musing 5/3/2014: The YIN & The YANG

Recap:

I thought about calling this post the Good, The Bad, and the Extremely Ugly. Either title work. I had some really monster performances from my picks, and some equally horrible ones. I placed in the money in one league on Draftkings and lost two. Back down to $2.60L. I fared much better on Fanduel placing in 5 out of 7 leagues.

The Yin (or what I'm calling The Yin anyway)

Roenis Elias was a stud last night. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. He had 10K in 7 innings pitched, and only gave up the 1 home run to Jacoby Ellsbury (another on the Yin list). Billy Butler did not disappoint against Mark Buehrle with 2 hits, one was a double, and 2 RBI. The big winner was Chris Getz, he came through in the first inning. After he got a base hit, he stole 2 bases, and scored a run. He later added to his point total with another base hit.

The Yang: (Bringing the Yin back into balance)

Salvador Perez, David Wright, and Wil Myers all had goose eggs for fantasy owners yesterday. The major disappointment was Chris Archer. I knew he was a risk. He looked great through 5 innings and then collapsed. He had amassed 10 points, and I thought I was a lock for the money, but then he blew up and only finished with 1 point in my daily league.

I am back at it tonight. Let's see if I can actually win on Draftkings.

Pitchers:

Stephen Strasburg: I do not really need to explain why I like him in the daily game tonight do? Ok, I will anyway. He is very pricy, but I am learning my lesson. PAY FOR PITCHING. The Phillies are batting a collective .211/.250/.329 against him. In one start at Citizen Bank Ballpark he pitched 6 innings, and did not allow a run. He has had one rough start in Miami (seems to be an issue with every pitcher except if they wear a Marlins uniform, wonder why??) the others have been stellar or just good.

Andrew Cashner: I love Cashner tonight. He is pitching at home where he sports a ridiculously low .081 ERA. The Diamondbacks can mash the baseball, but not tonight in San Diego.

Colby Lewis: This is a stretch, and a value play for tonight. If you can pick him up to stream in an ESPN league for today I would. I know you can't in the Yahoo leagues. I really like this option in ESPN yearly leagues. I need a cheap pitcher to go along with Strasburg and he was it. The Angles are batting .236/.325/.528 against Lewis collectively. He is good at Angles Stadium. In the last three years he has a 1.82 ERA in 3 starts, and 19.2 innings pitched. He has only given up 11 hits and struckout 17. Hopefully this continues tonight.

I am also starting Gerrit Cole tonight. He has been good at home. In his two starts this year he has an ERA of 1.80. The Blue Jays can mash, just hope he can shut them down.

Hitters:

C: My value play for catcher tonight is Travis d'Arnaud. He has been heating up over his last 7 batting .308/.400/.615. He is also playing in Coors, against a lefty.

1B: Billy Butler and Eric Hosmer. I am biased for the Royals, but the numbers back me up tonight. Butler is batting .310 in 42 AB against Porcello with 3 doubles. He also has been heating up over his last 7 batting .360 with 2 doubles. Hosmer is batting .357 in 14 AB's against Porcello with 2 HR. Hosmer also has 4 doubles over the last 7 days, and has just missed a homer on a couple of those.

2B: Rendon, he has killed lefties this year. He is facing Cliff Lee. Still don't care, Rendon is on FIRE against lefties. Just for fun here is his slash lines against lefties for the year .565/.577/1.000

3B: Casey McGhee: He has been good over his last 7, batting .391/.462/.478. The whole Marlins team is hot right now, not sure how much longer they will keep it up. Depending on the site Miguel Cabrera is a must start tonight in the daily game. He is good against everyone, but he kills James Shields. He is batting in 43 AB's .419/.468/.721. That is a big WOW factor. I did not expect those numbers when I started my research. I am going to sit James Shields tonight in my yearly AL only league. There are a ton of Tigers hitters who hit him well.

SS: I am not playing Escobar tonight for the Royals, he does not hit Porcello at all. He has 1 hit in 21 AB's. I am starting Alexei Ramirez tonight, he is 6/7 against Danny Salazar.

OF: Alex Gordon is another Royal who likes facing Porcello. How does .355 with 2 home runs and 2 doubles suit you? I love Jason Werth tonight, he feels very comfortable in the box against Cliff Lee. Batting .357 in 28 AB's with 1 double and 2 HR's. I am going to use Josh Reddick of the A's tonight as well. He is 2/3 against Buchholtz with a homer and a walk. He also has been solid over his past 7 batting: .333/.391/.524

No comments:

Post a Comment